Saturday, January 12, 2013

Filipino Beef Stew (Niligang Baka)



When it's cold and under the weather all I want to eat is Filipino Beef Stew (Niligang Baka). This dish is really simple to make and I love making it. It's one of those dishes where you throw everything in a pot and forget about it. The stew is all in the broth and my secret is adding bones. I found these Beef Chuck Shank Soup Bones in the meat section for $2.50/lbs and it  This 1 lb package cost me $2.50 and it packs a lot of flavor.



I usually use Beef Shanks but I didn't see it so I bough Beef Chuck instead. I made sure to get one that has a thick bone.

Ingredients:
2 1/2 lbs of Beef Chuck
1 lb of Beef bones
8 cups of water
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed
1 tbs of peppercorns
1/2 tbs of salt 
3 carrots, peeled and sliced diagonally
1 head of cabbage

Directions:
Cut the beef in 1 inch cubes, make sure to save the bones as it adds a lot of flavor
In a large stock pot over medium heat add 8 cups of water and simmer
Add the beef and bones
Skim off the scum completely

Add the onions, garlic, peppercorns, and salt
Continue to simmer for 1 hour or until the beef is tender
Add the potatoes, yam, and carrots and cook until tender 
Add the cabbage until tender

 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages